Thursday, September 9, 2010

Schooled by Eugene Peterson

The way in which Jesus is the way is not a matter of style of expedience. Nor is it a generality, a vague pointing in an upward direction. Prayerfully and scripturally attentive, Jesus deliberately chose the way He would live. If we chose to follow Him, we must be just as prayerful, scripturally  attentive, and deliberate. The other ways are no ways.  - Eugene Peterson, The Jesus Way

The above quote has been taped to the inside of my apartment door since the winter. I was reading through Petersons book while Annie and I were in the early stages of praying about going to Mozambique. At that time we were still debating on a lot of the ways that the trip would "practically" affect us. Did we want to give up the apartment we love? What about money? What about stability, and our future? In all honesty we were thinking carnally and with our own "wisdom".  We were praying about it at the time but often our own worries drowned out our listening.

It was in that mindset that I first read Eugenes exhortation, and it hit me right between the eyes.  I was arrested by the Truth and there was no room left for excuses. Any fearful reasoning lingering around was suddenly striped of its validity. I must be intentional about the choices I make, and I must know the reasons why. To do otherwise would be to embrace an illusion of discipleship, and accept a counterfeit as good enough. I love how an encounter with truth can transform a landscape like that. How it puts everything into perspective and undeniably shows you the better way.

-kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment